Resources for the Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment based
Proactive and Personalised Primary Care of the Elderly
1. Skorupka W, Żurek K, Kokot T, et al.
Assessment of oral hygiene in adults. Cent Eur J Public Health. 2012;20(3):233–236.
2. Moynihan P, Petersen PE.
Diet, nutrition and the prevention of dental diseases. Public Health Nutr. 2004;7(1A):201–226.
3. Otomo-Corgel J, Pucher JJ, Rethman MP, Reynolds MA.
State of the science: chronic periodontitis and systemic health. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2012;12(3 Suppl):20–28.
4. Sheiham A, Steele J.
Does the condition of the mouth and teeth affect the ability to eat certain foods, nutrient and dietary intake and nutritional status amongst older people? Public Health Nutr. 2001;4(3):797–803.
5. Wöstmann B, Michel K, Brinkert B, Melchheier-Weskott A, Rehmann P, Balkenhol M.
Influence of denture improvement on the nutritional status and quality of life of geriatric patients. J Dent. 2008;36(10):816–821.
6. Sheiham A, Steele JG, Marcenes W, et al.
The relationship among dental status, nutrient intake, and nutritional status in older people. J Dent Res. 2001;80(2):408–413.
7. Bascones-Martínez A, González-Febles J, Sanz-Esporrín J.
Diabetes and periodontal disease. Review of the literature.. Am J Dent. 2014 Apr;27(2):63-7.
8. Friedewald VE, Kornman KS, Beck JD, et al
American Journal of Cardiology; Journal of Periodontology. The American Journal of Cardiology and Journal of Periodontology Editors’ Consensus: periodontitis and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Am J Cardiol. 2009;104(1):59–68.
9. Kamer AR, Morse DE, Holm-Pedersen P, Mortensen EL, Avlund K.
Periodontal inflammation in relation to cognitive function in an older adult Danish population. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012;28(3):613–624
10. Meurman JH, Sanz M, Janket SJ.
Oral health, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2004;15(6):403–413.
11. Thomson WM.
Dental caries experience in older people over time: what can the large cohort studies tell us? Br Dent J. 2004;196(2):89–92; discussion 87.
12. Hirotomi T, Yoshihara A, Yano M, Ando Y, Miyazaki H.
Longitudinal study on periodontal conditions in healthy elderly people in Japan. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2002;30(6):409–417.
13. Kassebaum NJ, Bernabé E, Dahiya M, Bhandari B, Murray CJ, Marcenes W.
Global burden of severe tooth loss: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Dent Res. 2014;93(7 suppl):20S–28S.
14. Petersen PE, Kandelman D, Arpin S, Ogawa H.
Global oral health of older people – call for public health action. Community Dent Health. 2010;27(4 Suppl 2):257–267.
15. Singh ML, Papas A.
Oral implications of polypharmacy in the elderly. Dent Clin North Am. 2014;58(4):783–796.
16. Scully C.
Drug effects on salivary glands: dry mouth. Oral Dis. 2003;9(4):165–176.
17. Mortazavi H, Baharvand M, Movahhedian A, Mohammadi M, Khodadoustan A.
Xerostomia due to systemic disease: a review of 20 conditions and mechanisms. Ann Med Health Sci Res. 2014;4(4):503–510.
18. Hahnel S, Schwarz S, Zeman F, Schäfer L, Behr M.
Prevalence of xerostomia and hyposalivation and their association with quality of life in elderly patients in dependence on dental status and prosthetic rehabilitation: a pilot study. J Dent. 2014;42(6):664–670.
19. Porter SR, Scully C, Hegarty AM.
An update of the etiology and management of xerostomia. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004;97(1):28–46.
20. Plemons JM, Al-Hashimi I, Marek CL
American Dental Association Council on Scientific Affairs. Managing xerostomia and salivary gland hypofunction: executive summary of a report from the American Dental Association Council on Scientific Affairs. J Am Dent Assoc. 2014;145(8):867–873.
21. Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Ogawa H, Estupinan-Day S, Ndiaye C.
The global burden of oral diseases and risk to oral health. Bull World Health Organ. 2005;83(9):661–669.
These references are for
Back To : Oral Health
Hoarding in Late Life
is one of several topics presented in the
Thorny Issues sector of this toolkit
Back To : Thorny Issuess